Easton is the main sponsor of the 2016 Little League World Series, and so it is no doubt to see that the company is the manufacturer of some of the best youth baseball bats in the sport. The Easton MAKO XL Youth bat is one such Easton bat that has been crafted to precision for the youngsters of today. This bat ensures a powerful and dependable performance at the plate, and can be counted upon to get some solid contact to every pitch. The Easton MAKO XL is built on the same model as the Easton MAKO, one of Easton’s finest bats. The bat’s balanced design enables precision hitting and is great for players to master their hitting skills.
The Easton MAKO XL Youth bat is a part of Easton’s MAKO Power Brigade Series. The bat is a youth bat with 1.15 BPF certification. The bat is also USSSA, AABC, Babe Ruth, Dixie, Pony and Little League certified.
The Easton MAKO XL comes with a large 2 ¼” barrel which is enlarged at the tip for maximum contact area. This guarantees solid contact on the ball and gives younger players more confidence when they step up to bat. The bat also has a 29/32” composite handle which eases the grip on the bat. The bat also has a -10 drop, and this design gives it immense torque on fast swings.
The Easton MAKO XL has Easton’s latest TCTATM Thermo Composite technology, which makes the bat both light-weight yet incredibly strong. The TCTATM technology gives the bat a large sweet spot on the bloated barrel end, and players can get plenty of pop. This also increases the bat’s swing speed being light and easy to swing.
The Easton MAKO XL is a balanced bat with precise swing control. The bat is the perfect combination of end-loaded and balanced. The bloated barrel tip means that most of the bat’s weight is focused at the area of contact, giving the bat more hitting power. The thin, tapering handle means that the bat is also balanced at the middle, for controlled swings. Another Easton bat in the MAKO line, the MAKO TORQ has an end-loaded design for increased forward swing momentum.
The Easton MAKO XL Youth bat has a two-piece composite design joined using high tech CXN ConneXionATM technology. This is Easton’s patented technology for joining multi-piece bats. The ConneXion technology reduces impact vibrations at the barrel-handle joint and re-directs this shock energy back into the barrel for more force. It also optimizes energy use and gives the players an enhanced feel.
The Easton MAKO XL Youth 2016 bat comes with a HYPERSKINATM Grip on its handle. The thin handle is easy to hold and swing, and the HYPERSKINATM grip gives players further comfort and control. The grip is a mere 1.2mm thick, and its tacky texture allows players to make minute changes to their hold if required, without much difficulties.
Feature Benefits of Easton MAKO XL Youth
- Large barrel and thin handle for enlarged contact surface and maximum power
- -10 drop and bat design allows for maximum torque to be created
- TCTATM Thermo composite technology makes bat strong but lightweight
- Bat is precisely balanced for controlled and clean swings
- CXN ConneXionATM technology optimizes energy use and reduces impact vibrations
- HYPERSKINATM Grip gives a comfortable, tacky feel
Pros & Cons
- Bloated barrel with large sweet spot
- Optimized energy use and efficiency
- Meticulous design makes it easy to hold and swing
- Light weight with fast swing speeds
- Balanced for precise swings and reduced impact vibrations
- Not end-loaded and barrel is not as strong as competitors
- Bat is not very durable and poor elasticity
- Composite design needs to be broken in
- Thin handle causes loss of forward momentum in swings
The Easton MAKO XL Youth bat can be used with a bat sleeve to increase the durability of the bat and give it an improved lifespan. Also, the bat should not be used for practice in batting cages.
1. Does the bat have a warranty?
A. Yes. The bat comes with a one-year warranty
2. Is the bat alloy or composite?
A. The bat is a two-piece composite bat
3. Is the bat balanced or end-loaded?
A. The MAKO XL is a balanced bat
4. Does the bat have USSSA certification?
A. Yes. The bat is USSSA and 1.15 BPF certified
The Easton MAKO XL Youth bat is a great Easton bat with some classical features on a modern, aesthetic design. The bat does have compromised durability and strength due to the use of a lightweight composite. However, the increased swing speed when combined with the large sweet spot make this a lethal bat in the hands of all youngsters and can help improve a player’s accuracy.